217 East Houston Street, San Antonio
Later: Frost Bros.
Completed: 1930 (remodel)
Architects: Harvey L. Page with Ralph H. Cameron
Contractor: John Westerhoff
Emil Blum opened his first dry goods store in 1908 after managing other San Antonio stores and training in Chicago and Houston. In 1929, Blum’s, Inc. announced an extensive project to remodel the 1912 Princess Theater building into a chic department store. The new store opened to great fanfare in 1930, but Blum’s declared bankruptcy within seven months. Frost Bros., at that time a women’s specialty store, moved into the building in 1931 and operated there until 1988.
Alternate photos (click on a thumbnail to enlarge)
1: Façade detail, 2009
Featured: Façade, c. 1931 (photo from the University of Texas at San Antonio Institute of Texan Cultures: 092-0155, Courtesy of the San Antonio City Public Service Co.)